the duckyblog

Thursday, June 03, 2004

Revision

This will have to be a short post as I shall be returning to revision shortly.

I don't really like revision, it all seems a bit pointless. The whole point of going to school is to learn things, to expand your horizons and broaden your knowledge, not to learn how to regurgitate facts in an exam.

I really loved the physics course we did this year. Obviously we have to sit exams at the end, but we had coursework projects as well. For the first one, we had to pick a subject then go away and research on it then write a report. It was really difficult to decide on a subject because I didn't want to pick something really easy, but I wouldn't get a good mark if I chose something so difficult that I didn't understand half of it. Eventually I chose to wrote about Exoplanets (planets that are outside our solar system) after finding a really interesting article about them in Astronomy Now magazine. I researched all summer, it was really fun. I seriously considered going to Nottingham University simply because, when I went on their open day, they gave a talk on exoplanets. The bloke who gave it was really nice as well, he e-mailed me his whole presentation to help me with my report. The day before we went back to school I sat down in front of my computer and typed for about 14 hours straight, finally finishing late that evening (not the best way to work folks!).

The other piece of coursework was an experimental one. We had to design our own experiment then plan and carry out an investigation around it. I did experiments with fountains and it was so satisfying when I finally managed to find the right relationship. Plus it was lots of fun playing about with fountains, I got the lab rather wet in the process though. I do love physics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home