the duckyblog

Saturday, September 11, 2004

Recent Events

I returned from Wales on Monday 30th August and have been hopelessly bad at blogging since then, leading me to get very behind on recent events. So for your enjoyment, dear readers, here is an account of my activities from then until the present day.

On Tuesday 31st August Richard came round. This was actually the first time we'd ever seen each other whilst being a couple as during the whole of the times we've been going out before, I've been in a different country. We went to the post office where I collected a letter for my sister and, on our way home, I showed Richard the sights of Dulwich and demonstrated why I never want to live there. I would tell you more about our day, but we spent the whole time being so sickeningly coupley that I'm sure you don't want to hear about it.

On Wednesday I did nothing and by the evening was thoroughly bored. I was really not looking forward to Thursday when Helen would go back to school and I would be at home alone all day so when Baz mentioned an upcoming dud trip to London the next day during which he would be beating up Richard, I immediately (under the guize of protecting Richard from the violence of Baz) invited myself along.

The next morning I turned up at Charing Cross (slightly late, I still haven't got the hang of showing up on time yet) to meet the rest of the duds and set out to explore London. This has already been written about extensively by those duds present (click here for Baz's account, Richard's account, Jon's account, and Dave's account) so I shall keep my tale brief. We wandered round for a bit through many different countries and watched a bloke on a large unicycle before finding a Pret a Manger for lunch. I had terrible trouble deciding between Vegetarian sushi and an Avocado wrap so eventually I went for both and ate half for lunch and munched happily on the remainder for the rest of the day. Normally I wouldn't be so extravagant with meals but I had, unfortunately, forgotten to bring any money with me for lunch so Richard, being the excellant boyfriend that he is, paid for me (and bought me a toblerone later, isn't he great!).

After lunch (and going in the wrong direction a few times due to a slight lack of a map) we arrived at the Monument and proceed to climb it. I was given the impression before we went in that there would be a lift to take us to the top so I was rather surprised that, having paid my £2 to the lady at the ticket barrier, I was confronted with a spiral staircase and no lift in sight. None the less, I set out for the top and soon overtook Richard and Baz to arrive, 311 steps later, at the viewing platform feeling as if my lungs were about to collapse at any moment. After 5 minutes leaning against the wall occasionally downing bottles of water, I felt able to move again and admired the view across London. I also had great fun teasing my vertigo suffering boyfriend by sticking my feet out through the railings and waving them around over 202 feet drop. I got Richard and Baz to give me a leg up as well so that I could stick my head through the railings at the top and get a better view.

After 45 minutes studying the graffitti and the view we descended the steps with both Richard and I counting them on the way down. We arrived at the bottom a little while after everyone else having stopped a couple of time to *ahem* compare numbers. I do feel compelled to mention that I had to correct Richard's counting a few times on the way down and that, despite my best efforts, whilst I counted the correct number of steps, he was 15 steps out. Not that that would have anything to do with the U he got in his maths GCSE, of course.

We then headed to Trafalgar Square where I, being somewhat short of stature, needed Baz's help to get up onto the lion where we sat and posed for all the various strangers who took pictures of us. Then the rest of the duds went back to Charing Cross and back to the various parts of the middle of nowhere where they all live. Richard and I went on to Reagent's park where we sat under a tree for a couple of hours until it was time for us to head to the Globe to see Measure for Measure. I had been informed that this trip was just to be Richard, myself, and my mother, so it was somewhat of a shock to arrive to find not only my mother, but both my sisters and my mother's friend standing outside the theatre, causing Richard to have some mild heart palpitations. The play was good, but not one of Shakespeare's best, it had several inconsistancies in characterisation. The Globe sells really yummy cheese and chutney sandwiches though. Afterwards we took Richard home to the middle of nowhere.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger Chris said…

    west wickham, i'll have you know is not the middle of nowhere, rather it is the centre of the universe
    love
    chris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home