the duckyblog

Thursday, June 10, 2004

Of mice and men

This has to be a brief post because I am now so bored at school and missing the company of people I can have a decent conversation with (one that doesn't run along the lines of "so, do you have a exam today?" "no") that I have decided to go home as soon as I finish this. However, I felt I had to say something after being shocked by the cynicism and lack of compassion towards small furry creatures from a certain person who shall not be named.

I have noticed myself becoming more cynical of late. I recently saw a pigeon limping along next to me at one of the many stations I visit on a regular basis and thought "I bet it's just doing that to get more sympathy". Luckily my conscience kicked it screaming "IT'S A PIGEON!!!!" and I was at once overcome with remorse at having doubted the intrinsic good of the world. There are very few times that I have attempted to kill poor defenceless little animals and after these incidents I have been so sorrowful that I vow never to do it again. The last thing I killed was a snail that I failed to see walking down a path and trod on and I was so upset that I burst in to tears.

On occasion my devotion to relieving the plight of living creatures does become a tiresome burden though. One day as I was walking home from work after a heavy rainstorm I came across a worm stranded in the middle of the tarmac path. Feeling sorry for it, I rescued it and put it on the grassy verge and continued on my way but had gone barely a metre when I came across a second worm. There were at least 20 worms on that short stretch of path and I was there for 30 minutes rescuing them all. I considered leaving the last few but I just couldn't do it, not after having given them hope by rescuing all the others.

Encouraging your cat to kill a poor defenceless mouse?? I am deeply shocked, certain person who shall not be named, deeply shocked.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    muahaha u r funny :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home