the duckyblog

Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Busy busy me

Yesterday and today I have been working. Until term ended I worked at JASSPA (James Allen's Saturday School for the Performing Arts) every saturday (7:30 - 3, not good hours) and these couple of days I've been helping at their summer clubs. Mainly I've been doing administration, checking and updating computer databases until my fingers ache and my eyes have gone blurry, except when the kids have been on their break and I've been trying to control 17 unruly 7 to 12 year olds.
 
Yesterday was absolutely horrible, to give you a taste of it, the lunch break was as follows:

First I supervised the children whilst they ate lunch. 4 of them had wandered off behind some portakabins where I couldn't see them so, after wandering round for a bit trying to locate them I finally found them and ushered them back to the playground. I returned to my seat to find that some 7 year olds had stolen my lunch. After a lot of giggling, I got it back and managed to eat some of it before it was time to play rounders with them. It took me 5 minutes to actually find the rounders equipment in the sports cupboard, after which i emerged to find the children scattered all over the school. I rounded them up and ushered them down to the sports field. 4 of them wanted to go and pick berries at the end of the field but they couldn't because there was a sports day down there; they wouldn't accept this and tried to run off there anyway and then sulked and refused to play rounders. I divided the children into teams only to find that somehow one team had 9 children and the other 4. I divided them again, but with great difficulty because some of them refused to be physically separated from their friends, hence the previous unevenness of the teams. I started half of the fielding and half batting, then noticed that the 4 who wouldn't play (who i'd told to sit quietly) were playing in the long jump pit. I went and yelled at them and sat them back down then went back to umpiring the game and sorting out the disputes that had arisen in my absense. Eventually I had to be the bowler as well because none of the kids could do it at all well and we managed to get an ok game going in the end. The kids weren't happy though. They complained that the equipment wasn't good enough, they complained about the snacks we gave them, they wouldn't put on their shoes to go outside, they spilt juice everywhere...
 
I'm not sure I like children anymore.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Chard said…

    Did you just c+p this from our MSN convo?

    It just seems strikingly similar...

     
  • At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aw poor sweet baby! I'm sure not all children are quite so disgustingly badly behaved! Anyhoo, hope things are better now!

    Helen xxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home